I’m at a vulnerable stage in life where changes have to be made. I will be real and raw about it all.
Last month I seemed more irritable, stressed, had more frequent mood swings (I didn’t notice them so much as my husband, son and co-workers did), and my sleep patterns were crazier than normal. I knew I was peri menopausal since my gynecologist confirmed this back in August of 2021. He prescribed me Mimvey, I took it 1 week and said no more. I gained 5lbs and had some other not so pleasant side effects with it.
- Wear my wedding ring again
- Lower my cholesterol levels
- Be more cautious of the food I put in my body
- Exercise more
- Lay off the sugars – No More Dr. Pepper Cream Soda’s, Ugh
- Drop at least 40lbs
I’m sure there’s more goals but these are the main ones right now.
Time To Get Some Help Before I Truly Lost My Mind
So, I would continue with over-the-counter meds and trying to push it to the back of mind. Some things helped but not all and the night sweats got continuously worse as well as the moodiness. I’m sure Justin wanted to stay away for a week or two. Mind you I haven’t had a menstrual cycle since 2008 after I had an ablation. I had the ablation because of a constant battle with endometriosis. The weight gain and tiredness kept getting worse too. Not to mention, the swelling in my hands, wrists, feet, and ankles. I couldn’t even wear my wedding ring anymore and that depressed me a bunch too.
So, July 25th I made an appointment with, HerKare, https://herkare.com/, had blood work drawn and went over my concerns and worries. That 7 days of waiting for results had my emotions all over the place. Like I said I knew something wasn’t right but didn’t know what and my PCP (who I love) would just tell me go here or everything is fine, eat better or drink more water.
The Results Were In
With my momma in tow, we went back for my appointment on August 8th for the blood results. I asked my mom to go for support and if needed she could ask questions for herself as well. (A Girl Is Never Too Old for Her Momma.) I was shocked with some of the results and then some I knew were going to read bad before we walked in. I just wanted answers and HELP!
- Triglycerides should be between 0-149, mine were 420
- HDL Cholesterol (Good cholesterol) should be >39, mine was 29. Not horrible but good be better.
- VLDL Cholesterol is a bad cholesterol because it helps cholesterol build up on the walls of arteries, should be between 5-40, mine was 74. It could be worse but can be better.
- LDL Cholesterol – collects in the walls of your blood vessels raising your chances of a heart attack or stroke. Should be 0-99, mine was 118. Could be better, right? At this point I’m feeling defeated.
- Hemoglobin A1c (determines if your diabetic) – should be between 4.8-5.6, mine was 6.3.
- Prediabetes: 5.7-6.4
- Diabetes: > 6.4
- Vitamin B12 should be between 232-1245, mine was 312. Not bad but explains why I’m so tired all the time.
- Perimenopausal – I knew this but was leaning more towards menopause. Let me tell you the hot flashes ARE NO JOKE! So basically, my ovaries are gradually going to stop working which is normal. This also has goes hand in hand with my cholesterol levels being high. Getting old sucks!!
Normally when seeing a doctor and they ask for my family medical history, I say “I’m f*ck*d!” All jokes aside I know I need to make my health a priority but of course I always have to include humor in some of the darkest times.
With all this said and sharing everything I have; it was hard for me to post the picture above. I figured no better way than to hold myself accountable then posting worldwide about what’s going on with me and that horrible picture. I won’t be able to do this alone so yes, I have been prescribed medications to help with this and hoping that eventually I won’t need them anymore. This won’t be a temporary fix but a permanent one. I want to see my son get married, play & spoil my grandkids one day, and retire healthy with Justin so we can travel without any ailments holding us back from enjoying retirement.